Table of Contents
Fun Facts About Stratosphere Layer
Fun Facts About the Stratosphere: Friends, today we are going to tell you some interesting fun facts about the stratosphere layer. You will get to learn a lot of new things after knowing these facts.
1. The stratosphere is the second layer out of the five layers of the atmosphere.
2. The layer above the stratosphere is called the mesosphere layer and the below layer is called the troposphere layer.
3. The stratosphere starts at an altitude of 10 km from the ground level and extends to an altitude of 50 km.
4. The most important thing about the stratosphere layer is that there is an ozone layer in it. It protects us by absorbing harmful ultraviolet rays coming from the Sun.
5. Many jets fly in the stratosphere layer because it is very good for them to fly due to low air density.
6. The stratosphere layer is 35 km thick.
7. In the troposphere layer, where the temperature decreases as the altitude increases. But, the temperature in the stratosphere layer increases as per altitude.
8. Many swans and cranes also fly at the height of the stratosphere.
9. The stratosphere covers 24% of the total atmosphere.
10. The temperature in the stratosphere remains relatively constant until it reaches the stratopause, where it starts to decrease again as the mesosphere is approached. This stability is due to the presence of the ozone layer, which absorbs and redirects a significant amount of incoming solar radiation.
We hope you enjoyed the fun facts about stratosphere information given by us. You can also comment about this below.
FAQ on Fun Facts about Stratosphere
What are 3 fun facts about the stratosphere?
The stratosphere is home to the highest-flying birds, such as the bar-headed goose, which can reach altitudes of over 8,000 meters during migration.
Commercial airliners typically fly in the lower portion of the stratosphere to take advantage of the stable weather conditions and reduce fuel consumption.
The highest recorded human freefall was made from the stratosphere in 2012 by Felix Baumgartner, who jumped from a height of approximately 39 kilometres, breaking the sound barrier during his descent.
What are 2 unique features of the stratosphere?
Two unique features of the stratosphere are the presence of the ozone layer, which absorbs and blocks most of the Sun’s harmful ultraviolet radiation, and temperature inversion, where temperature increases with altitude due to the absorption of ultraviolet radiation by ozone molecules.
What is the stratosphere also known as?
The stratosphere is also known as the second major layer of the Earth’s atmosphere, situated above the troposphere and below the mesosphere.
What is the special layer of the stratosphere?
The special layer of the stratosphere is known as the ozone layer, located approximately 10 to 50 kilometres above the Earth’s surface.
Read more fun facts:
22 Fun Facts About Raccoons For Preschoolers
21 Best Fun Facts About Snakes for Kids
21 Fun Facts About Ducks For Preschoolers