Fun Facts about Orthodontists
Fun Facts about Orthodontists:
- Orthodontists are dental specialists who focus on the diagnosis, prevention, and treatment of dental and facial irregularities.
- The word “orthodontics” comes from the Greek words “ortho,” meaning straight or correct, and “dontos,” meaning teeth.
- Orthodontists typically complete four years of dental school and then an additional two to three years of specialized training in orthodontics.
- In addition to traditional metal braces, orthodontists also use clear aligners, lingual braces (which go behind the teeth), and other advanced technologies to straighten teeth.
- Orthodontists can help with more than just crooked teeth. They can also address issues such as overbites, underbites, and jaw alignment problems.
- The American Association of Orthodontists recommends that children have their first orthodontic evaluation by the age of seven.
- Orthodontic treatment is not just for children and teenagers. Many adults also choose to undergo orthodontic treatment to improve their dental health and appearance.
- Orthodontists play a crucial role in ensuring that patients have healthy and functional teeth and jaws, which can improve their overall quality of life.
- Orthodontic treatment can take anywhere from several months to a few years, depending on the complexity of the case.
- Orthodontists often work closely with other dental specialists, such as oral surgeons and periodontists, to provide comprehensive care for their patients.